Wednesday, December 22

Gyeongju (Kyongju) Day Trip


My first few  months here I was a busy bee! I couldn't stay in Pohang if I tried, but after a few weekend trips to surrounding cities lately, I haven't been traveling as much. There's a city about 30 minutes outside of Pohang, that everyone told me I "just had" to visit! It was described as the more traditional and cultural city. Considering I'd been to Taebak (4.5 hours away) and Seoul (4 hours away), it only made sense that I should visit this beautiful city that was so close! So,a few weeks ago Leigh and I headed to Gyeongju! The weather was perfect and we had a blast!

A little history on the city: Kyongju was the capital of the Shilla Kingdom for over 1,000 years. Thousands of historic buildings and objects have been maintained well throughout the city, truly making it the "museum without walls."  Gyeongju is famous for its "Gyeongju bread" or "Hwangnam bread", a red-bean pastry first baked in 1939 and now sold throughout the country.
eek! Just describing this bread almost made me gag - def not on of the Korean foods I enjoy.
That big hill behind us has a former King under it!

haha :) if only the "way out" was always this obvious






I'm holding a Korean coin that has this statue on it!



My pagoda! :)

Hangin out in Asia, in front of a temple :) no biggie!

Refreshing well water, "Cheers"! :)

Us + Autumn = Happiness! :)
Other peoples' pagodas
Loving Korea more each day,
Em


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...